Owner Pulls Back On Rent Increases For Mobile Home Park In Fullerton And Anaheim After Residents Protest
By: Jeong Park, Orange County Register
Date: March 27, 2019
“The new owner of a senior mobile home park straddling the border of Fullerton and Anaheim is pulling back on monthly rent increases of more than $200 for nearly 400 residents until at least Sept. 1, saying the company had done “too much, too soon.”
…The reversal announced on Wednesday, March 27, came after Anaheim Mayor Harry Sidhu organized a meeting Tuesday, March 26, between residents and the owner. The company is planning further meetings with the residents to see how it can increase the rents in a way that’s least impactful, Whittingham said.
For weeks, the residents – about 150 in Fullerton and 240 in Anaheim – have gone to city council meetings in both cities, calling for elected officials to intervene.
…Anaheim Councilman Jose Moreno has requested city staffers write up an ordinance for the council to consider calling for a moratorium on rent spikes at all mobile home parks.
…But the residents have said the increase would force many living on social security checks to make tough spending decisions or to have to move out of the region, given Southern California’s skyrocketing rents.
“I’ve been out looking, and I can’t find anything,” Sherri MacDonald, 75, and a 10-year resident of the park, said last week. “This is supposed to be the last place for us to live.”
Many residents said they have lived in the park for decades, with their monthly rent going up by $5 to $15 each year, and they had expected a more incremental rise in rents. The mobile homes are owned privately and the lots they sit on rented from the park….“